Wharram Percy is a deserted medieval village site on the western edge of the chalk wolds in North Yorkshire. Its church, dedicated to St. Martin, nestles in a valley, roofless and surrounded by memorials of the dead. On this near windless January day little else moved but the reeds in the fish pond and the gently whispering ivy still clinging to the winter trees.
On the grassy bank above are the outlines of peasant dwellings and the Norman manor house. First settled in prehistoric times, Wharram flourished as a village between the 12th and 14th centuries, before final abandonment in about 1500.
This recording was made in the shallow water at the edge of Wharram Percy fish pond where beetles swam around in the forests of submerged water plants at the base of the reeds.